Sunday, October 01, 2006

Where is the District Archeologist?

Posted on the Palisades Listserv:

I visited the park today where they cleared brush/land and was not surprised when I found two arrowhead fragments and a stone bowl fragment. These items and others items provides evidence for the earliest people living in the Palisades. I was hoping to recruit volunteers to salvage the archaeological record before it's demolished. Also wanted to know the configuration of the new field so that I can get an idea what will be plowed away, and what buried, what left alone. I want to make sure that salvaging of these materials has no effect on the schedule for park renovations. It's been delayed long enough! So this might require immediate attention.

Doug Dupin
Palisades Museum of Prehistory

No comments: